Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Do not be afraid to speak because you are young

I awoke from a burden to tell the pastor in Charge of Barker Road Methodist Church a word of encouragement. I tried to sleep it of as I thought I was just hearing things. My mind began to sharpen and heard the words of God within me. He flashed out key passages and words to bring His context into a situation that happened just a few days ago. I got up, switched on my laptop and started composing an e-mail for him. I do not have the words nor the theological background to write. My hands started typing the words and passages which linked up sentence after sentence. When I have finished the e-mail, I looked at it and thought, I would not be able to write like this without the help of God.

At the back of my mind, I was thinking about the words of the Apostle Paul in the letter to Timothy. This keyverse come from 1 Timothy 4:12.

"Don't let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in life, in love, in faith and in purity."

There have been many revival meetings for the youth and this verse has been used frequently. I accept it as it is the word of God.

"All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work."
2 Timothy 3:16-17

As I composed the e-mail, I begin to understand the application of this verse. There are times where God may want us to tell the people something that they do not want to hear. Our Lord Jesus put it in the Beatitudes, Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

God continues to surprise us in one way or another. Anybody can be the person who can change the world. God does not look at the physical appearances but He looks at the heart. If you have a willing heart and ready to obey, God will use you. As for the young people, do not hold back on what God wants to say to you. You will miss the joy of seeing another believe or getting encouraged. This joy cannot be robbed by anybody as it is given from God. I pray that as we continue our walk in Christ, may our hearts be ready to obey his commands. Amen

No comments: