Friday, September 12, 2008

The Problem of being smart and the simplicity of being dumb

Ever wonder why people are so brilliant in their studies and successful in their careers are still feeling empty inside? This was one of the questions my friends and I were discussing during English class. To be honest, we were suppose to do our notes for the research essay but then, we were talking about it.

It sounds like a philosophical question as it does involve our psychological aspects of the mind. I do not study philosophy nor psychology but I am looking into in my own way. This ties with Christianity and certainly religion. I might have an answer to that question but I fear that it might not be theologically correct.

Do you remember what Jesus told us that the best faith we are to have is of a child? A child is innocent who does not know much about the world where as a grown up will include many factors which leads to an unstable faith. This unfortunately applies to our education. We would want to get a broader perspective but we run into a danger of just 'thinking too much'. I quote from one of my church friends, 'Failures are often caused by assumptions'. When you study maths and science, every calculation you make is based on assumptions. When Jesus say, "I am the way and the light", many people did not believe as they just think too much.

The problem of being smart and certainly the simplicity of being dumb. This does not mean that we should not be studying. Education is good as you are equipped to work with the world. Our Lord says, "Be of the world but not be part of the world." You only have one master and you are on earth to do a particular job. What is your purpose?

This brings back to Matrix when Agent Smith tells Neo before they start fighting.

"You have taken something away from me and that is purpose"
Agent Smith - Matrix Reloaded

No comments: